High Performance Photopolymer Suitable for Underhood and Electrical Components
Figure 4® Rigid 140C Black delivers on the promise of additive manufacturing with true functional durability in plastic parts. A two-part epoxy/acrylate hybrid material, Figure 4 Rigid 140C Black production-grade parts feature long-term mechanical stability in various environments.
This innovative material, made with patented filler, provides toughness comparable to injection molded polybutylene glass fiber (PBT GF).
Under-the-hood components produced with Figure 4 Rigid 140C Black demonstrate excellent reliability when subjected to high temperature operating life (HTOL) testing. These parts also demonstrate good part-to-part friction. This is an ideal material for industrial applications such as levers, knobs, and clutches, as the material maintains its structural properties. Figure 4 Rigid 140C Black was tested to the equivalent of eight years indoor and one and a half years in outdoor environments per ASTM D4329 and ASTM G195 methods.
- Automotive under-the-hood and in-cabin components
- End-use clips, covers, connecters, housings and fasteners
- Electrical latching and board connectors
- Parts can withstand years of indoor UV and humidity exposure with minimal degradation to dimensional stability or functional performance
- Surface finish comparable to injection molding
- Suitable for repeated snap-fit use without deformation
- Versatile with a good combination of elongation, HDT, and tensile strength
- Long-term environmental stability of mechanical properties and performance
- Superior part-on-part friction
- Excellent surface quality, accuracy, and repeatability
- Biocompatible capable per ISO 10993-5
- UL94 HB flammability
- Short thermal cure at 135C
The full suite of mechanical properties is given per ASTM and ISO standards where applicable. Properties like flammability, dielectric properties, and 24-hour water absorption are also provided for better understanding of material capabilities to help design decisions using the material. All parts are conditioned per ASTM recommended standards for a minimum of 40 hours at 23 °C, 50% RH.
Figure 4 technology prints parts that are isotropic in mechanical properties meaning the parts printed along either the XYZ axis will give similar results. Parts do not need to be oriented to get the highest mechanical properties, improving the degree of freedom for part orientation for mechanical properties.
Long Term Environmental Stability
Figure 4 Rigid 140C Black is engineered to give long-term environmental UV and humidity stability. This means the material has been tested for its ability to retain a high percentage of its initial mechanical properties over a period of time. This provides real design conditions to consider for the application or part.
The charts show a sampling of the dataset. The full data sheet includes indoor and outdoor stability data for tensile strength, elongation at break, tensile modulus, and impact strength. Actual data value is on the Y-axis, and data points are % of initial value.
Tested per ASTM D4329 standard method.
Tested per ASTM G194 standard method.
Chemical and Automotive Fluid Compatibility
Hydrocarbons and cleaning chemical compatibility can be critical to application compatibility. Figure 4 Rigid 140C Black parts were tested for sealed and surface contact compatibility per ASTM D543 test conditions and per USCAR2 test conditions. Tensile strength is shown below. The full data sheet includes additional data tables for notched impact strength, tensile modulus, and elongation at break.
Automotive Fluid Compatibility
* Note: Not all products and materials are available in all countries – please consult your local sales representative for availability.