VSP allows surgeons of all computer backgrounds access to the most up-to-date toolbox for today’s most challenging head and neck surgical procedures. Combine a detailed virtual surgical plan with custom-engineered instrumentation and you have a winning combination of elements to ensure surgical success. Patented and clinically tested technology is available to aid surgeries ranging from trauma reconstruction of the facial skeleton to guidance of fibula free flap procedures to more routine orthognathic surgeries.
What is Virtual Surgical Planning?
At its most basic level, VSP utilizes medical image data to accurately plan surgery in a computer environment and then transfer that virtual plan to the patient using customized instruments. The surgeon brings his/her clinical knowledge and desired surgical plan to an online web meeting, and 3D Systems’ engineers enable visualization of that plan in a virtual environment. The design team at 3D Systems then takes the completed and approved surgical plan to the next step by creating patient-specific, disposable instruments for use in the case. All of this happens in a fluid and open conversation where the surgeon has complete control of the surgical plan and the instrument design.
- Orthognathic surgical planning with CAD/CAM intermediate and final splints
- Mandibular or maxillary reconstruction with free flaps or bone grafts
- Trauma surgery, including repositioning guides and augmented DICOM data for navigation assistance
- Distraction osteogenesis planning, including vector positioning and distractor placement
- Guidance for microtia repair using autogenous materials
- Jaw in a Day, which facilitates definitive single stage jaw reconstruction from resection to prosthesis placement.
- Craniofacial reconstruction including procedures related to craniosynostosis and cranial vault distraction.